Chief construction adviser Peter Hansford is carrying out a review of solid wall insulation for the Green Construction Board and is looking for written evidence. The review is independent of government, but has support from the Department of Energy and Climate Change, the Department for Communities and Local Government and the Department for Business, Innovation and Skills, and is expected to report this summer.
The review will focus on three key areas:
- Unlocking demand for solid wall insulation
- Improving the affordability of solid wall insulation
- Increasing the attractiveness of solid wall insulation as a solution.
It will address issues around:
- Benefits of solid wall insulation
- Drivers of investment
- Manufacturing capacity
- The impact of existing policies
- The skills required to ensure that solid wall insulation installations comply with building regulations
- The time needed for development of appropriate guidance before increasing uptake
- Self-certification vs inspection
- Health and environmental issues
- Possible quick wins
- Barriers to uptake, such as perceived disruption to householders.
Written evidence must be received by the review by 24 April.