The computer generated image has echoes of the iconic photo by Julius Shulman of Pierre Konig’s case study house number 22, but this is definitely not a house. Manhattan Loft Gardens in Stratford, east London is a 42-storey high cantilevered tower, cuts into its razor-sharp, glass and terracotta clad form creating a series of sky gardens.
The tower, designed by SOM, houses 248 apartments and a 150-room hotel and features:
- Gardens at seventh, 25th and 36th floors
- Openable windows in apartments
- Optimal daylight in apartments
- Rainwater storage, for re-use to water the gardens and clean the building
- 13 types of loft and apartment homes
- Amenities including a swimming pool, spa and meeting and conference space.